Greetings from Nigeria! I finally made it here, all in one piece. I had a very good flight overall, with no complications at all. After my aunt met me in Abuja in Nigeria, we spent the night there because it is not safe to drive at night here in Nigeria. As it was, when we drove home, we were stopped many times by policemen on the side of the road as well as another group - mostly for security reasons, but also sometimes because they wanted something from us. It helped having me along because my aunt would tell them each time that I was very new to Nigeria so that they would want to make a good impression on guests to their country! So funny.
I am staying with my aunt and uncle while I am here, and they have two kids - Anna Beth and Luke. They are both great, and I have really enjoyed getting to know them so far. I am really looking forward to spending the summer with my relatives and getting to know them better. They are amazing!
Just a few interesting things about what I've experienced so far: electricity (neppa, here) is very random. Sometimes it is on, sometimes it just randomly turns off. Rather annoying, although they have a generator to be able to keep lights on if the neppa turns off. But it is only a 12 volt generator, so we still have to be careful when the electricity is off. People take taxis (privately owned vehicles) here for transportation. That will be what I will take to the hospital every day. At this point, I am still being escorted by Nitni, my aunt and uncle's helper. It is not necessarily the safest way to travel, but if you take certain precautions, you will be ok - ie. the taxis take more than one person - usually 6!, so the key is, if you don't know what you're doing, don't get into an empty taxi. Take one that already has people in it. :)
While I am here, I'll be helping out at the hospital and some of the city ministries, which includes a couple homes for boys who would be on the streets otherwise. I'll also potentially be tutoring a little boy a couple times a week. Other than that, I'm not entirely sure. I will post again as soon as possible, because my time is running out on the computer here!
Sai angima!
3 comments:
Wow Esther - Sounds like it has been an amazing experience for you already. Thanks for keeping us all informed. I hope that God really blesses your time there and that you continue to experience His peace. Thanks for the update.
ps- That "Joshua" up there is Rebecca (Esseltine) I used my husbands account because I don't have gmail! Just so you know!
thanks, Rebecca! I was just about to rack my brain for which Joshua this was!!! :) Hope you're doing well!
Post a Comment