Friday, September 05, 2008

Isaiah 57:15-19

This passage struck me as I read it this morning. Isn't this where we are all at to some extent or another? Longing to remember these words, to let them solidify in our hearts? To not forget them when we are beating ourselves up inwardly?


For this is what the high and lofty One says -
he who lives forever, whose name is holy:

"I live in a high and holy place,
but also with him who is
contrite and lowly in spirit,
to revive the spirit of the lowly
and to revive the heart of the contrite.

I will not accuse forever,
nor will I always be angry,
for then the spirit of man would
grow faint before me -
the breath of man that I have created.

I was enraged by his sinful greed;
I punished him, and hid my face in anger,
yet he kept on in his willful ways.

I have seen his ways, but I will heal him;
I will guide him and restore comfort to him,
creating praise on the lips of
the mourners in Israel.

Peace, peace, to those far and near,"
says the Lord.
"And I will heal them."



On the one hand, as we continue to be disobediant to God, he will punish us for our sinfulness, but on the other hand, even while he has seen our ways, he will heal us and guide and restore us to himself!

We so often beat ourselves up in our attempts to become more like Christ, as we see how often we fall, how often we serve ourselves instead of Jesus. But God knows all about us, he knows our most inward thoughts. And he is there, able and willing to help us.

And I love the part too, at the very beginning, where it says, to those who are contrite and lowly in spirit - I feel that at least in part, that reflects the attitude of those who seek to become more like Christ, even as they see how often they fail - God revives the spirit of the lowly, and revives the heart of the contrite.

2 comments:

Tim and Annalisa Sawatzky said...

So I just found your blog and am wondering if you've abandoned it. Esther, are you there....?

Annalisa

Esther said...

haha, yes, I'm here...almost abandoned it, but you inspired me :)