Monday, February 15, 2016

Who are you trusting?

I paused to reflect on the title of my blog - "A winding path... but guided ever so securely".  There is amazing truth in that... we do often walk crazy winding paths, not knowing ... what is around the bend?  Where is God taking me next?  The best part is, though, that God, in his omniscience, knows exactly what is around the bend. Nothing takes him by surprise.  And we can know and trust that he is in control, and that he is good.  That he loves us ever so dearly. That he would never do anything against his character. His character is love, is good.  It doesn't mean that life is easy, it doesn't mean we don't face difficulties.  Some of us know that much better than others.  My friend with 2 of her children in the hospital at present knows that very well.  But she also knows God's character, and trusts in it - in him! - with all her heart.  My much smaller troubles - yet still very real for me - at present have caused me to reflect on this yet again in this past week.  Interestingly, I saw with my lips that I trust God with the outcome, and that I know he is good, and that he promises good ultimately for each one of his children, but I think I've seen in the past couple weeks or so that I still struggle to deep down believe that!  And even tonight, as my heart wrestled with something, wanting to take control, to control outcomes, that it's hard to trust God with it all, with the whole picture!  We become trapped and paralyzed in our thoughts by fear.

As I opened my computer tonight, I have a screensaver on the sign in screen with various scripture verses.  Tonight's verse came from Matthew 6:28-30 - "And why do you worry about clothes? (or anything else, for that matter...)  See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labour or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire. will he not clothe you, O you of little faith? (and provide for all your other needs while he's at it?)"

And before that "Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?  Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" (Mt 6:26-27)

What precious promises he gives us!  He is so tender with us, knowing our weaknesses, knowing our struggle to relinquish control, to trust him, to not strive to control our lives ourselves, or control outcomes ourselves!

That is my challenge in these days. To trust God, to trust his goodness, that he will do what is best ultimately for His Glory, which always means that it will be what is best for each one of us.  To not try to take control myself, to not be anxious, to not worry, but to surrender all that to him.

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." (Phil 2:6-7).  The best part of that is that he wants us to surrender all this to him with thanksgiving!  Thanking him for how he is leading, guiding, teaching, molding.  Recognizing that while he does not bring evil/sorrow/death, but he can and will use it to lead us that much closer to him. 


No comments: