Tuesday, April 19, 2011

You may find that I may write more in the next few weeks! If so, it's because I'm dawdling on studying :) So if there are no posts, I'm hopefully diligently studying away :)

Today was for some reason tough for me. I don't struggle with this often, but sometimes I catch myself wondering how I am serving my Lord in what I am doing right now. Today was one of those days. I feel like much of what I do is inward and self-focused, as I study, eat, sleep...study, eat, sleep... Some of this comes out of being reminded of where God is taking others, and what they are doing, and how they are continually investing in people's lives and serving people!

I know I do that as well when I can, but much of my days revolve around me and making sure I pass my exams!

Today my heart was burdened in one of my classes. It was on prenatal screening and diagnosis, and what to tell families who are coming into your clinic if the test results are positive for Down's syndrome, etc. We dance around the moral ethics of when life starts and stops, no one wants to take responsibility for figuring that out. And this may come from lack of understanding and lack of experience in this, but sometimes it feels like much of this concern about having the perfect baby is to make us happy! We work so hard and are willing to do so much to produce a perfect baby. Nothing less will do. Is it even about the baby sometimes? I wonder if a child with Down's syndrome wishes he or she was never born. Forgive me, I may be a little cynical, but it seems like this does occur - at least some of the time. It's certainly not across the board, by any means, and I can't begin to imagine the agony of what a family walks through and the choices they may need to make when their child is determined to have incredibly debilitating malformations.

Thank you for listening.

I should get back to studying. Right now I'm learning about what happens if the spinal cord is injured. Did you know that a person can have an injury that causes you to lose pain and temperature on one side of your body and vibration sense on the other side? I did not know the spinal cord was so complex until I began learning about these things.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Nice to read your posts, Esther! That's a lot to process, it sounds like. Thanks for sharing!