Friday, October 28, 2011

Nigerian day...

Today I finally got the chance to use the fantastically colorful Nigerian bag my aunt sent me for my birthday. Brilliant hues of green, purple, and red. Looks like a peacock. Normally I'm either toting my heavy duty backpack or needing to look professional. But not today! I finished an exam this am - I am now fully certified in Emergency Medicine - not! But I have successfully passed my first "real" rotation in my clerkship year! I then wandered about borrowing some books for my next rotation so that I will have a decent idea what's going on on monday morning when I show up at children's hospital for my 1st day of anaesthesia rotation. I'm also on a mission to find my poor sister some christmas decorations - not available in thailand. That's a scary thought, and fills me with fear! I don't buy decorations for myself, much less for my sister! I have no taste, her taste...well, pretty amazing. So I'm trembling with what I've bought already. And on a whim, I decided to get a trim. I can very rarely plan to get my hair cut, because I think it would scare me too much. You never know who you'll get to cut your hair, and I'm not the best person to explain it! "what do you mean there are different types of layering? high or low layered?" and on top of that, I am cheap and don't go to professional hair salons, but entrust my tresses to students - well, others entrust their lives to me, I'm sure I can entrust my hair to another. :) surprisingly, very seldom am I actually unhappy with the outcome. today was no exception. I was a little worried at first - usually am, but walked out feeling beautified. all this was with my fantastic nigerian bag. thanks, aunt adena for the great bag! I love it! then, I got home and somehow was on a culture theme, because while I turfed my week's clothes in the washer, I pulled out my equally awesome nigerian skirt to wear for the evening! and I wasn't even going out... :) the fabric was a gift from a nigerian couple while I was there, and my first reaction when I saw the pattern was "I'm never going to be able to wear that!" since I wasn't super keen on it, I decided to go all out and get a risky style (ie.I'm normally conservative, and I had my seamstress design me a fancy outfit). it subsequently became my favorite nigerian outfit while I was there, and I still love it! I was baking tonight and didn't have all the ingredients, so I got to walk to safeway wearing my fantastic skirt. :) ps. you can see the outfit on my profile pic on my blog. isn't it great? now I'm going to settle down and watch a movie about Nixon's assassination - from the library - we'll see how it is... :)

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Nice job on doing your first rotation! I hope the anesthesiology one goes well too:)I like that photo of you in the Nigerian dress, it's very vibrant as you say:) Hope you have a great week, Esther!