Sunday, July 21, 2013

Sunday afternoon ponderings - and a newsbite

Dear Friends and Family,

Greetings from Central BC!  I hope this letter finds you well. 

I can’t believe that I am already 5 weeks into living in Prince George!  Time has absolutely flown!  I’ve posted a few things on my blog (http://ejwarkentin.blogspot.ca/), so I won’t reiterate those points.  Feel free to check it out – I’ve included a few pictures as well.  This email is also on my blog.

I’m 3 weeks into work here (5 weeks living here), and it has been busy!  I’ve enjoyed it, but am definitely feeling a bit sleep deprived at times.  One of my greatest challenges, and what I’d appreciate prayer for is to continue to be filled with grace at all times, and especially when I am post call (ie. have worked overnight and am tired!).  If I haven’t gotten much sleep, I’m finding that if there are any issues that are already a bit challenging/irritating, when you haven’t slept, they’re even bigger issues!  While I may not act unkindly at the time of the situation (I hope I haven’t yet!), I still can let them fester and gripe about them to myself as I’m driving home.  This morning at church I was challenged by Jesus’ words to his disciples about hypocrisy, and to live my life in such a way that what I think and how I act behind the closed door of my car or my home reflects how I act at other times.  What would people see if my private life was on display?  Would I be ashamed?  

On a lighter note, I’m looking forward to the next several weeks as I have my weekends free to myself!  I just did my first little hike yesterday, and am hoping to be able to get out and do a little bit more in the weeks to come!  I’m also looking forward to being able to get out to the Farmer’s Market on Sat mornings to get my fresh produce!  It is such a fantastic market!  Not only is there great stuff there (they also bring a truck up from the Okanagen with fresh fruit), but I know that I’m supporting local vendors.

I’m still trying to find a church community that I will be able to grow in and both be encouraged while encouraging others, but this morning I really appreciated the church that I went to.  The focus was on God during the service as opposed to on ourselves, which I feel like I’ve seen a bit more of recently.  It was so refreshing!  The message was challenging and convicting as well.  And I got to know a few more people, which was a blessing!

With respect to the rest of my life (hospital life), I have been learning tons and seeing all sorts of conditions that I have not encountered before in my learning.  It has been quite a positive experience so far and most people that I work with have been fantastic.  One of the unique challenges for me is learning how to be a team leader.  From this time on, I’ll always have medical students that I’m working with (it’s startling that that’s no longer me!) and I have the opportunity to teach them.  It’s a huge responsibility!  I also need to provide leadership in terms of ensuring that everything gets done, nothing gets missed, etc.  I have enjoyed stepping into this role so far, and have received positive feedback from the medical students on my team so far.  They have been very strong medical students, and it was been such a treat to work with them!  

Well, I’ll sign off there…  I don’t want you to fall asleep! J  Hope you enjoyed the read.  And I have to say, I’m actually impressed (and you should be too) that I got this email out to you all!  I was rather in fear when I sent my last one (my first group email) that it might also be the last!  So I’m doing well so far on continuity!

Blessings in your week and let me know how things are for you!


Esther

No comments: