Saturday, February 08, 2014

A new sport!

I have been on a stay-cation this past week, and I've had some good fun!  I've tried to be productive as well, which unfortunately hasn't been as productive as I would have hoped, but it has been good.

One of the things I've enjoyed the most has been connecting more with my church this week - taking opportunities I don't necessarily get, such as joining a prayer meeting in the early afternoon - not usually a time when I am free!  There have been some other meaningful interactions as well throughout the week.

Today I did something that has been on my list of goals since winter hit here - go cross country skiing.  I had a false sense of confidence starting out, that it would be "easy-peasy". But as I started out on the flat, I realized this wasn't as easy as it appeared!  And then came the first hill!  My skis went slower and slower as gravity, and no counter-momentum from me, started to exert its forces.  And then I started to slide backward!!!  And so I made a very ungraceful face forward plant in the snow!  We had just passed a slew of skiiers, one of whom was a colleague of mine, and I was quite relieved that they were long gone and there was no one to witness my floundering except my ski mate :)

However, I did slowly get a little more sure on my feet.  I don't believe I've got the knack yet for the smooth ski maneuvers, and I certainly still had a few more falls - I think always going up hill!  I figure my remote years of downhill paid off for something, although these are much different skis and don't work as well downhill!  You can't turn properly!  I also discovered that cross country skiing requires muscles I haven't had to use much before! I made a resolution to start faithfully using the elliptical at the gym, which somewhat mimics the cross country ski motion. :)

Here are some pictures from the day I think you'll enjoy - yes, I did include some "glamorous" shots as well!  It has been a cold week, although I'm not totally sure exactly how cold it was.  It was rated on the weathernetwork as being about -18 ish in the afternoon, but we passed a thermometer stand on one of the trails that said in the shade it was -27!  No wonder my fingers got a little (lot) cold! It was spectacularly sunny, though, and that helps a lot.  And it's just good motivation to keep moving and working!


My skiing partner, Miriam.


Yes, one of my ignominious falls.


Displaying IMG_1307.jpeg
lots of fun - can you tell?  and going downhill... :) note: the round scarf is courtesy of my sister - I don't think she realized it would be used as such - but it works wonderfully to protect my chin especially from the cold wind.  Sometimes it would backfire, though,and just cause my glasses to fog over.  That wasn't particularly helpful...

Displaying IMG_9754.jpeg
in front of the ski lodge - I think at this point I had gotten my bearings...slightly :)

All in all a great adventure, and quite affordable to rent everything, including the trail pass!  I'll be back!

No comments: