I think that in Jesus' time, the Jews had modified the original Passover to include 4 cups of wine. These were based on Exodus 6:6-7 and 4 promises God made to the Israelites.
"I am the Lord, and
1. I will bring you out from under the yoke of the Egyptians.
2. I will free you from being slaves to them, and
3. I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with mighty acts of judgement.
I will take you as my own people, and I will be your God."
These 4 promises can be summed up as the following:
1. The Cup of Sanctification
2. The Cup of Freedom from Bondage
3. The Cup of Redemption/Salvation.
4. The Cup of Restoration/The Cup of Hope.
Christ, in the Last Supper and in his death and resurrection, fulfilled these 4 Cups.
1. The Cup of Sanctification - 1 Peter 2:9,10
But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness and into his wonderful light. Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.
2. The Cup of Deliverance - Colossians 1:13-14
For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
The Bread of Life/The Lamp of God - John 6:35, Isaiah 53:7 (the breaking and taking of the bread in between Cups 2 and 3)
Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.
He was oppressed and afflicted, yet he did not open his mouth; he was led like a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before its shearers is silent, so he did not open his mouth.
3. The Cup of Redemption - 1 Peter 1:18,19
For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your ancestors, but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect.
4. The Cup of Restoration -
This final cup, it is said that Jesus did not drink of it at the Passover because it will not be fulfilled until he comes again for the final time. It doesn't seem to clearly specify that he would not drink of it, and in Luke, it only mentions him taking 2 of the cups. It is true that the pain and heartache and suffering experienced on this earth will not be truly and fully fulfilled until Christ comes again, but I think that Christ is bringing Restoration even on earth here and now. He says "He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted and proclaim freedom for the captives, and release from darkness for the prisoners" (Isaiah 61:1), and of God, "He heals the broken-hearted and binds up their wounds". I understand restoration as bringing one to wholeness: healing, forgiving, reconciling, both with God and man.
It was neat to learn of this Jewish tradition, and when I read up on it, it is practiced by Jews today.
Feel free and comment on these reflections if you have any additional insights, etc. I would welcome that.
No comments:
Post a Comment