Sunday, September 20, 2015

A battle in the spiritual realms

Last week, my pastor began a sermon series on Ephesians 6, the chapter that talks about spiritual warfare, and the importance of being aware of that warfare and of putting on God's armor to fight against Satan's schemes and deadly arrows.

It's so easy, especially in North America, where we have rationalized everything, and in many ways, have tried to do away with the spiritual realm, or at least ignored it.  It's easy to go through our day, our week, without realizing that the temptations that come our way are sent by Satan or his helpers, in an attempt to keep us from doing what God has and wants for us, from being who God means for us to be.

I find this in my own life.  Last night, for example, I struggled with wanting to watch "one more TV show", not a sin in itself, but when it means I'll then go to bed late, and thus get up late, and thus not have time to spend time with my Lord before going to church, and leaving me flustered, unable to focus during church, feeling guilty for not disciplining myself the night before,... the list goes on, then that is a sin for me.

I succeeded in getting out for a walk this morning, and listened to that sermon again, as I had struggled to focus during parts of it last week.  I was struck by one thing my pastor said, that really brought home the reality of those temptations we face. "When you are faced with a given temptation, remember that it was for that very temptation and sin that follows if the temptation is given into, that Christ came to earth and died, was crucified in a horrible death" (my paraphrase).  That really puts things into perspective!  Instead of thinking in the theoretical "spiritual forces/powers/dominions", it brings it into the practical, the daily struggle!  It is for that thing that Christ came to earth and died!

May that reminder cause us (me!) to be more aware, and give us the courage and strength to act in this week.

No comments: