So I feel like "late" will soon become my middle name. I never intend to be late, but it happens! Although I have to say, not always - only when it's most important. But I think my problem is that I hate to be early to events, because that can potentially be AWKWARD, but then I underestimate the time it will take me to get ready. And besides, if I ever have "extra time", I think: "Great! You can just do this and this and this then!" This happens in a few areas, especially with projects and papers for school (Why, even when I begin an assignment long before I need to, do I still end up working madly into the early hours of the morning before it is due? In fact, this past semester I think I pulled more all nighters (or near allnighters) than I did in my entire previous 6 years combined! That's scary...but I was also taking Ecology, which explains a lot of things - to me) Anyway, this tends to happen at other times as well that do not involve school.
My latest "late" event came just yesterday. I had a wedding to go to - a lovely one, of two of my friends from church. I had something to do in the morning, but thought I'd still have plenty of time to get ready before I left. I always try to work fairly hard to "dress up" and put on make up when I go to weddings - not sure why, though... But just to be on the safe side, I stayed up late the night before to make sure that any potential kinks were worked out. I got home at about 11:20 or so and started getting ready. However, at about 11:45 ish, I realized that I was going to have to change my outfit! Don't ask why. So at 12:30, madly I rushed out of the door, leaving my dad probably laughing in my wake. I still figured I was going to make it - just on time, because I had originally planned to leave at 12:15 - 45 minutes early so that I would be nicely on time. I knew the church was on the north end of Langley, so I took 200 street exit, drove north just a tad more, and realized that the church I thought the ceremony was being held in was the wrong church...how did I do that? By now, it's 12:54 according to my cell phone. I knew that I would be officially late now for the wedding. By the way, this is at least the 2nd wedding that I've been decently late for.
So as I drove to the south end of Langley, where the wedding ceremony was actually taking place (by the way, I am smart enough to prepare for the worst, in this case bringing the invitation with me, so then I could look at where exactly the church was) I berated myself loudly for - once again - being late. Argh! But I talked to myself and told myself that there was no sense in driving stupidly, since I would be late regardless. So just calm down, drive safe, and you'll make it there eventually.
I got there at 1:15, just in time to see the bride and her father waiting to walk down the aisle. fortunately, no one saw me behind them (except for Angela helping Carmen with final wedding dress touches). And then I slipped into the church after they were well down the aisle, feeling just a touch sheepish.
I'm going to make a resolution to be on time (especially for big events). It is not fair to anyone - myself, since I then miss some of the excitement (or whatever), or the people the event is for because it shows a lack of respect for them and just for being on time for events in general. It's a good thing the majority of the world is usually on time for things (especially important events), because otherwise it could get quite frusterating.
2 comments:
Haha Esther...yes I understand your frustrations here. I too have this late problem and I haven't even been to Africa before...*wink*. I like to take the laid-back outlook on life though and this easygoingness effects my On-TIMEs in life. Aw! That's what a phone is for right? IF I feel I should call, I usually do; unless I KNOW it'll be a regular occurance of course! As far as respect goes...I guess if you befriend whom ever is inviting you to the large event, and they get to KNOW you then perhaps when you are late they will understand because they KNOW you, meaning they LOVE you and TRUST you to respect them regardless whether you're late or not. Like they MUST think *she had a legitimate reason, she had to have, she's my friend and she loves me.*
So, I, too, can be chronically late. Funny thing, now that I have children it bothers me more and I'm more on time. But I don't know how I do that since I have two extra people to get ready. Anyway.....I heard once that by being late it is being arrogant by making others wait on you. That made me feel embarassed. There are still many times I'm doing the mad rush around the house, and the yelling at the kiddos because I didn't give them enough time. Thank goodness I can keep working at it.
Post a Comment